Sunday 1 November 2015

Using Blogs as a Teaching Resource - A review...

As part of my new blogging experience I’ve been asked to review other blogs that I may find useful during my current educational learning experience. One such blog that I have encountered is entitled eLearning Industry, which boasts as being the largest online community of professionals involved in the eLearning industry. I must admit that at first glance I was impressed at the large collection of eLearning articles, concepts and resources available written by expert authors within their field.

I found particular interest in the recent article on The Impact of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs In eLearning as I felt it could be related to the increased use of IT within the teaching sphere and how it can relate to both blended and flipped learning approaches to be used with our students. Maslow (1987) believed that individuals are all motivated by intrinsic factors, regardless of economic status or cultural background, where as human beings we seek to fulfill the more basic needs before moving to the next.

It has been argued that Maslow’s Hierarchy can help with student motivation; it fuels our student’s desire to achieve their goals and ambitions. The article argued how Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs can be natural fit for eLearning relating it to each of the needs as highlighted within the differing levels of the pyramid. The article was informative and interesting, full of useful links and valid arguments.

This was but one article, several others make for just as informative reading, such as articles on Blended Learning Techniques and a list of highly informative Ted Talks for educational learning. I would recommend this blog as a potential bookmark in any trainee teaching student's online library list. Of course I appreciate and respect that there are many other educational blogs available within the bloggersphere, as such I hope that I have simply raised awareness of how useful such sites can be.

Reference:

Maslow, A. H., 1987. Motivation and Personality. 3rd ed. New York: Harper Collins.





No comments:

Post a Comment